September shooting in Gulfport leaves man dead
A 22-year-old Gulfport resident has been identified as the man who died after a shooting late Wednesday afternoon in a neighborhood on 57th Avenue.
Borntava O’Brien Keller died at the scene after multiple shots were fired in the 3000 block of 57th Avenue, Harrison County Coroner Hargrove said.
The cause of death is pending an autopsy, Hargrove said Thursday. He declined to say if Keller’s possible cause of death was a gunshot wound or another type of injury.
Deputy Police Chief Chris Loposser had confirmed the death early Wednesday night and said a gunshot wound might not be the cause of death.
Police dispatchers first called for help about 4:30 p.m., sending police, firefighters and an ambulance crew to the West Gulfport neighborhood. The neighborhood is just north of the Naval Construction Battalion Center.
An unidentified man told the Sun Herald the victim, his cousin, had been shot.
The county coroner was called to the scene, where two barricade-type partitions were set up to block public view of the body.
A large group of people were gathered in front of a house, where police were speaking to them. A distraught woman was led away by friends and family but she soon returned.
A zig-zag of crime scene tape was placed about the distance of a block.
Sophia Johnson, who lives several homes south of where the shooting occurred, said she heard seven shots. The mother of five children, she said there’s never been any violence in the neighborhood of mostly wood-framed houses, with speeders the only problem.
At least 14 other shootings have been reported in Gulfport since January:
- Bullets were fired into a home at Magnolia State Apartments on West Birch Drive on Sept. 10 while two men allegedly were allegedly shooting at each other.
- A man wanted on a probation warrant and allegedly armed was shot by a police detective Sept. 4 after a traffic stop on West Birch Drive at Wildwood Drive.
- A man fired shots into an occupied building Aug. 9 on 41st Avenue.
- A drive-by shooting was reported July 30 in the 1700 block of 45th Avenue, where five homes were struck by gunfire.
- A disgruntled former employee of Warren Paving in Gulfport fired shots outside the business on July 13.
- A shooting July 9 on 3rd Street wounded a man.
- A man was critically wounded when he was shot July 4 on Prudie Circle.
- Two men are accused of firing shots into William Bell Apartments on May 11.
- A man was shot and wounded in a robbery May 8 on 65th Avenue.
- A man was shot multiple times April 28 in a robbery near 30th Avenue and 12th Street.
- A man was shot on 30th Street near 20th Avenue on March 18.
- Shots were fired at four people, but missed, Feb. 27 on Rich Avenue.
- A man was shot in a leg on Holly Circle on Jan. 15.
- A man was wounded by a gunshot on 26th Street on Jan. 15.
Photojournalist John Fitzhugh contributed to this report.