The Mississippi Coast Coliseum gates have opened early in advance of the arrival of President Donald Trump, who will campaign Monday evening at a rally for U.S. Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith.
Vice President Mike Pence will join Trump, with both arriving separately, White House schedules show.
The Coliseum is ready for a large crowd. Trump’s visit to the Coliseum in January 2016 drew a standing-room only crowd of about 13,000 people, Executive Director Matt McDonnell said.
People began arriving on the Coliseum grounds when the gates opened at 8 a.m.
Trump was scheduled to speak at a Make America Great Again rally in Tupelo at 4:15 p.m. before flying to Gulfport, according to his schedule.
If you plan to go, here’s what you need or want to know:
- Tickets are free and on a first-come, first-serve basis. They are available online at the president’s website, www.donaldjtrump.com. You can get your picture with Trump backstage, the website says.
- 4 p.m.: Protesters have said they will start to line up on the beach side of U.S. 90 across from the Coliseum.
- There’s a $5 charge per car to park at the Coliseum.
- There’s only two entrances to the Coliseum: from the south on U.S. 90 and the entrance nearest the railroad tracks on Beauvoir Road.
- Only those who have registered online will be admitted.
- Be prepared to go through a security checkpoint. No firearms, knives, pocket knives or knives on keychains are allowed. Even if you have a conceal-carry permit, you still can’t be armed.
- 5 p.m.: Coliseum doors open.
- 5-10 p.m.: Expect traffic delays in Biloxi and Gulfport. Police say expect detours. No advance notice is being given as to where.
- 6:40 p.m.: Trump arrives at the Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport.
- 6:50 p.m.: Trump hosts a roundtable on the First Step Act, a draft of legislation for criminal justice reform. Pence is expected to participate.
- 7:40 p.m.: Trump arrives at the Coliseum.
- 8 p.m.: The rally starts.
- 9:05 p.m.: Trump leaves the Coliseum for the airport.
- 9:30 p.m. Trump departs Mississippi for Washington, D.C.