Harrison County

Cat dies in Gulfport house fire

By WESLEY MULLER

wmuller@sunherald.com

Follow me: Twitter | Facebook

COURTESY GULFPORT FIRE DEPARTMENT 
 A cat died in this one-story brick house, which caught fire Thursday about 5 p.m. The home's resident was out of town at the time.
COURTESY GULFPORT FIRE DEPARTMENT A cat died in this one-story brick house, which caught fire Thursday about 5 p.m. The home's resident was out of town at the time.

GULFPORT -- A cat died in a house fire Thursday afternoon in West Gulfport.

Gulfport Fire Department Battalion Chief Chris Henderson said crews responded about 5 p.m. to a house fire on 49th Avenue after neighbors called 911 with reports of heavy smoke in the area.

The first firefighters to arrive found a one-story house with heavy smoke coming from the rear. Crews extinguished the fire and searched for any occupants.

No one was home, but firefighters discovered a dead cat inside. It apparently died from burns and smoke inhalation, Henderson said.

It's unclear if the feline had a name and lived at the house or was merely a stray.

The resident was out of town at the time of the fire, which remains under investigation, Henderson said.

  Comments