Family fun and barbecue filled Saturday at the 10th annual D'Iberville Barbecue Throwdown.
Around 50 teams competed in three categories of two types of competition -- backyard style and the Barbecue Competitors Alliance sanctioned contest, said Gateway Group President Desiree Marquez.
Winners will share in $5,000 in cash and prizes.
Willie Nettles knows a thing or two about winning. He is the owner of Nettle Tender Q Barbecue and 2013 Grand Champion of the D'Iberville Throwdown.
"I get to enjoy all my friends, food and learn something," Nettles said. "I'm very excited and coming to win it all again."
Randall Pelous, D'Iberville's Ward 1 council member and a judge in the rib category, said the city of D'Iberville is happy with the growth of the competition over the last 10 years.
"The Throwdown brings in so many people, it stimulates the local economy," Pelous said. "This exposes D'Iberville to people from all over."
Only a few teams have been in the Throwdown every year and Terry Welch's Barbecue World is one of them.
"This has evolved into a good national competition," Welch said. "I'd put some of these guys up against anybody in the world."
One of the up-and-coming grill masters, Charles Dabbs, owns Jus' a Dab Will Do Ya.
"So far every competition I've entered I've placed," Dabbs said. "I placed second in chicken and seventh in brisket last year. This year I'm trying to get on the podium."
This is Kevin Gordon's first official competition.
"Everybody has come over with tips," said Gordon, of Morton. "The city council members and staff have been great. I'm coming back next year."