GULFPORT -- Four small dogs survived a natural gas explosion that blew the roof and one wall off a rental home.
The explosion about 11:15 a.m. Wednesday at the home in the 2940 block of Tandy Drive, Fire Chief Mike Beyerstedt said.
"It appears it started in the attic, which helped spare the little doggies," he said. "There was a flash of flame and it singed the hair on the dogs."
There was no wall of flames but a lot of smoke, Beyerstedt said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
"It caused extensive damage."
The residents returned home while firefighters were still at the scene.
Tandy Drive is in a subdivision in Gulfport's Orange Grove community. It's south of Dedeaux Road about midway between Three Rivers Road and Mississippi 605.