Some Harrison County fish trapped in a house fire are still alive, thanks to some quick thinking by the Gulfport Fire Department.
Gulfport fire district chief Frank Skinner said the Gulfport Fire Department responded to an alarm activation about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday on Ewing Street in Harrison County, just north of Gulfport.
Fire personnel discovered the alarm was coming from a single story home, he said.
"There was no smoke visible from the outside of the structure," Skinner said. "Fire department personnel looked through a window and discovered the structure was full of smoke."
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
After forcing their way into the home, the firemen discovered and extinguished a fire over an aquarium.
No one was at home at the time of the fire, Skinner said.
He said the aquarium was destroyed but the fish were transferred into a temporary aquarium and removed from the home.
Skinner said the fire is believed to have been started by a faulty aquarium pump.