Harrison County

Six people woke up to smoke filling their home in Saucier

Two of six occupants of a mobile home were treated for minor smoke inhalation after smoke from a fire filled the residence, Harrison County Fire Chief Pat Sullivan said.

A heating unit malfunctioned and started a fire about 2:35 a.m. Monday at the residence on Palmer Creek Drive, Sullivan said.

Smoke filling the mobile home woke up the residents.

The fire was confined to the heating unit and a closet, Sullivan said.

Firefighters from the Harrison County Fire Service and Saucier Fire Department responded.

Most fire deaths in the U.S. are caused by smoke inhalation, not burns, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Minor smoke inhalation causes coughing, difficulty breathing and hoarseness, and can cause an upset stomach and nausea. It also can cause a headache and make you feel sleepy.

Heating equipment is the second leading cause of house fires, the NFPA says.

Robin Fitzgerald: 228-896-2307, @robincrimenews

  Comments