Harrison County

As weather cools, remember to make sure your fireplaces and chimneys are safe

Harrison County Fire Services responded to a two-story wood framed home after a fire escaped the chimney and spread to the walls and roof area.
Harrison County Fire Services responded to a two-story wood framed home after a fire escaped the chimney and spread to the walls and roof area. Sun Herald file

Harrison County Fire Marshal Pat Sullivan is warning residents to exercise fireplace safety after a Sunday afternoon house fire.

According to Sullivan, around 2 p.m. firefighters responded to a fire at a two-story wood frame home on Shaw Road near Morgan Lane with two people inside.

Sullivan said the residents had a fire going in the fireplace when they saw smoke coming from the roof.

The fire department responded and determined the fire had spread from the chimney to inside the walls and the roof. Firefighters managed to contain the fire to the roof area and two rooms inside.

The two people and their pets got out fine, Sullivan said, but there is smoke damage throughout the house.

Combat Readiness Training Center Fire, Lizana Fire and Harrison County Fire Services responded.

Sullivan said this was an accidental fire due to the chimney catching on fire, which is something that he begins to see this time of year with cold weather coming in and people begin using their fireplace for the first time in some months.

Sullivan warns that if people have not used their fireplace and chimney in awhile or have questions about the condition of them, they should contact a professional to clean or inspect the chimney before use.

  Comments