Fred’s announced Thursday that it will close 159 “under-performing stores.”
The list includes 49 Mississippi stores and five Coast locations, Gautier, Moss Point, Wiggins, Ocean Springs and Pascagoula, according to Fred’s website.
A U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filing said, “The decision to close these stores is the result of a comprehensive evaluation of the company’s store portfolio, which examined historical and recent store performance and the timing of lease expirations, among other factors,” according to a Memphis Journal article.
The store closings come after Walgreens acquired patient prescription files and related pharmacy inventory from 185 Fred’s stores in a $165 million deal, according to a Walgreens press release.
USA Today is reporting that the stores will close by the end of May.
The Coast stores closing are:
- Gautier, 237 Woodland Dr.
- Ocean Springs, 3176 Bienville Blvd.
- Pascagoula, 2511 Ingalls Ave.
- Moss Point, 7833 Highway 613 (closing at the end of June).
- Wiggins, 116 2nd St S (store closing, pharmacy to remain open)