When you hear “Celebrate the Gulf,” do you get a visual? Turn it into a piece of art, and you could win $250.
Organizers of the Celebrate the Gulf Marine Education Festival, presented by the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources and held in conjunction with Art in the Pass, have announced that the deadline to enter the festival’s third annual poster contest is 5 p.m. Jan. 13.
Both amateurs and professionals are welcome to enter. The poster designs (which should be original, of course) should depict the conservation, recreational or scenic qualities of Mississippi’s coastal resources. No entry fee is required.
The winning artist will receive $250 and 10 posters, and the winning artwork will be unveiled in February.
Never miss a local story.
Celebrate the Gulf and Art in the Pass will be held April 1.
Here are the rules:
▪ Artwork must be camera ready.
▪ Only original art will be accepted.
▪ Artists must be 13 years of age or older to participate.
▪ There is no size restriction, but the final print size will be about 16 inches by 20 inches.
▪ Each artist may submit up to four entries for consideration.
▪ Computer-generated art is not acceptable.
▪ All artwork should depict Mississippi’s coastal resources.
▪ Employees of MDMR and their immediate family members are not eligible for the contest.
▪ The design must be suitable for poster reproduction and be in keeping with the family atmosphere of the festival.
▪ When submitted, the artwork must be sprayed with a fixative (if appropriate), covered with acetate or clear plastic wrap and be supported in front and back with corrugated or foam core board for protection.
▪ Entries and accompanying paperwork must be submitted to Dennis McGrury at the DMR, 1141 Bayview Ave., Biloxi, MS 39530 or Grand Bay NERR, 6005 Bayou Heron Road, Moss Point, MS 39562.
▪ The decision of the judges is final.
▪ The winning artist must attend the festival and sign the posters from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 1
▪ Winning art work will become the sole property of the DMR. The DMR also will retain the right to use the artists’ names in any present and/or future promotional or educational activities.
▪ The Department of Marine Resources reserves the right to cancel the contest at its discretion.