Palazzo is clear - women can't handle combat
U.S. Rep. Steven Palazzo, R-4, has sent a letter to the Secretary of Defense saying women can't be allowed in certain combat roles.
It "raises serious questions about what appears to be blatant disregard for the safety of the men and women who serve in our armed forces," his letter said.
"While many of us agree that there are roles that women can and will perform just as well as any man, there are many Military Occupational Specialties that must for the safety of all, remain closed to females."
Palazzo sent the letter Thursday, following a speech he made on the floor of the House earlier this week criticizing President Barack Obama's strategy on terrorism and his call for more gun control after the San Bernardino attack.
But about 2- 1/2 minutes into the speech, he also criticized Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter's decision to open combat positions to women, saying Carter and the president ignored the U.S. Marine Corps recommendation to keep those jobs from women.
In the video, he calls it "unbelievably dangerous."
In the letter to Carter, he questions motivation and accuses the civilian leadership of making decisions for the military "based on political objectives and legacy instead of the safety and security of the men and women who serve in uniform."
In the letter, Palazzo points to a Marine Corps study on integrating ground combat units done by the Neuromuscular Research Laboratory of the University of Pittsburgh, which he says shows combat units with men and women failed to perform assigned tasks and were more prone to injury.
"Although the Department of Defense refused to release the full study results to the public or Congress, despite our requests, these independent studies showed beyond doubt that pushing forward on integration at this time, is not only ill-advised, it is dangerous."
He urged Carter to reverse his decision.
"This decision cannot, for the sake of all who serve, be a political one," Palazzo said.
Palazzo had written to Carter in September asking for the release of several reports from studies conducted by the Commandant of the Marine Corps on the integrating of women into combat roles, saying again he believes it will cost lives if they do.
Palazzo said in order to maintain its "unique tactical capabilities and prowess, the Marine Corps must never lower or compromise its standards," and combat roles would need to remain closed to women if they were to maintain such benchmarks.
This story was originally published December 11, 2015 at 2:57 PM with the headline "Palazzo is clear - women can't handle combat ."