Nigel Knott apparently couldn't wait until National Signing Day to make his college decision public. The four-star DB announced Monday he'll sign with on Wednesday. Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Oregon and others were after the speedster.
Even with the announcement, the Magnolia State will have plenty of drama on NSD. Below are the top five uncommitted Mississippi prospects to keep an eye on Wednesday:
1. Noxubee County DE Jeffery Simmons: Coast football fans have probably seen their fill of the talented defensive end. The 6-foot-4, 250-pound end caused all sorts of problems for St. Stanislaus in consecutive Class 4A championship games. Considered the state's top recruit overall, Simmons could go just about anywhere nationally. Simmons is down to Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Tennessee. Southern Miss was thought to still be in the running, but Simmons tweeted out a photo Monday saying "I'm just gone leave this here! No interviews until after signing. Time to focus" with a photo of him in each of the SEC teams' uniforms. Stay tuned. (Prediction: Ole Miss)
2. Starkville WR A.J. Brown: Brown is arguably the best receiver in the state. He's the full package with size (6-foot-1, 220 pounds), soft hands, speed and he can jump. Like Simmons, he can also go just about anywhere. While it's hard to pass up staying at home and going to Mississippi State, a lot of chatter lately has been about Alabama. Ole Miss is also in contention. (Prediction: Alabama)
3. West Point OL Scott Lashley: Lashley has had an interesting recruitment as he was committed to Mississippi State for all of a couple of hours before re-opening his recruitment. He tweeted out Sunday -- with accompanying emoji icons, of course -- he's down to Mississippi State, LSU and Alabama. Lashley will make his final decision public during a 4 p.m. ceremony on Tuesday. (Prediction: MSU)
4. Starkville DT Kobe Jones: Scroll down Jones' Twitter timeline and it's filled with photos of him at Miami, with Alabama coach Nick Saban and Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze. 247Sports credits the 6-foot-4, 265-pound four-star recruit with 16 offers. Unlike Brown, most of the chatter seems to be about Jones staying home and singning with Mississippi State. He'll announce along with Brown at 8:50 a.m. Wednesday. (Prediction: MSU)
5. Laurel QB Keon Howard: The talented Laurel quarterback called an audible Monday, decommitting from Memphis. LHS coach Todd Breland told the Clarion-Ledger his change of heart was due to the coaching change at Memphis. The three-star QB holds offers from Minnesota and Louisville, among others, but it seems everything is point in the direction of a flip to Southern Miss. As of press time Monday night, Howard had not made his decision public. (Prediction: USM)