The top three teams in Conference USA have had some tight battles recently with Southern Miss splitting a total of six games between Rice and Florida Atlantic. What may help USM is the fact that Rice and FAU have to play in Houston next week:
1. Southern Miss (31-14, 15-6): The Eagles cling to this spot thanks to a mid-week win over Louisiana-Lafayette last week and RPI ranking of No. 19. The Eagles are in need of a sweep against Western Kentucky this weekend.
2. Rice (27-14, 15-6): The Owls will have a tough trip to make this weekend against an FIU team that is playing well lately.
3. FAU (30-12, 14-7): FAU should keep the pressure on Rice and USM with a home series against UTSA this weekend in Boca Raton. The Owls are picking up their play at he right time.
4. Louisiana Tech (27-14, 12-9): The Bulldogs are a bubble team and have USM and Rice left as the two final conference opponents on the schedule.
5. Marshall (24-17, 13-8): The Herd doesn’t even have a home baseball stadium in Huntington, W.Va., but they somehow compete in C-USA.