The start of the basketball season hasn’t been all that great for the Conference USA men’s teams. The bottom half of the league is a combined 9-43 to star the season, but Louisiana Tech does give some hope for an NCAA at-large bid:
1. Louisiana Tech (6-1): The Bulldogs are here on the strength of their 82-74 win at Ohio State. Eric Konkol has done a nice job replacing Mike White as head coach so far.
2. UAB (5-3): The Blazers haven’t been as impressive as some expected, but they’ll eventually come around. I expect La. Tech and UAB to battle for the regular season title.
3. UTEP (6-2): The Miners were rolling along fine, but they’ve lost the last two games to New Mexico State and Texas-Arlington.
4. Middle Tennessee (5-2): The Blue Raiders have losses to Murray State and VCU. Auburn comes to Murfreesboro on Saturday.
5. WKU (4-4): The Hilltoppers have played a fairly tough schedule, but have yet to really beat anybody.