Here are the top five teams in Conference USA at the conclusion of the regular season:
1. Western Kentucky (10-2, 8-0): The Hilltoppers made it look easy with a 49-28 win over Marshall on Friday to settle the Conference USA East. WKU was labeled as the preseason favorite to roll to the C-USA title and they backed that up with a perfect conference slate.
2. Southern Miss (9-3, 7-1): USM has been in fourth place for much of the season, but a dominant 58-24 win over La. Tech allows it to jump two spots this week. The Golden Eagles weren't given much of a shot to contend for a C-USA title this year, but they are picking up steam headed to WKU in Saturday's 11 a.m. title contest.
3. Louisiana Tech (8-4, 6-2): The Bulldogs turned it over seven times Saturday, but they’re still one of the more talented teams in C-USA.
4. Marshall (9-3, 6-2): The Herd was exposed on defense and offense in the final weeks of the season. Marshall just happened to be playing its best ball when it crossed paths with USM. I still think Marshall is destined for the bowl in St. Petersburg.
5. Middle Tennessee (7-5, 6-2): MTSU could easily be No. 4, but blowout losses to WKU and La. Tech prevent that. WKU was the up and coming team in 2014. USM holds that title this year. The Blue Raiders could be that team for 2016.