When Conference USA announces its all-conference squad in December, Southern Miss has a chance to be well represented on the first- and second-team squads.
This week, I take a look at five USM players who have a great shot at making All-C-USA with a strong close to the season.
Players not listed here who also should get a close look are USM’s leading tackler, junior safety D’Nerius Antoine, senior middle linebacker Brian Anderson and senior running back Jalen Richard.
Here are five USM players who appear a good bet to make All-C-USA:
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
1. CB Kalan Reed: The Birmingham native has had a special senior season so far. He is tied for the C-USA lead in interceptions with three, has 11 pass breakups and ranks third on the team with three tackles.
2. WR Mike Thomas: The senior’s numbers are all the more impressive considering he missed the majority of two games with an injury. He has 40 catches for 737 yards and seven touchdowns. He set a USM record with four consecutive 100 yard games.
3. QB Nick Mullens: The junior is in a battle with Louisiana Tech’s Jeff Driskel for the label of second-best quarterback in C-USA behind Western Kentucky’s Brandon Doughty. As the second-rated passer in C-USA, Mullens has thrown for 2,890 yards, 25 touchdowns and seven interceptions.
4. DE Dylan Bradley: The junior has been a force on the USM defensive line. He sat out most of last week’s win over UTEP, but Bradley has 5.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for lost yardage.
5. OT Rashod Hill: Mullens has had time to pass and the ground game is much improved. While the offensive line struggled the previous three years, Hill has been reliable at left tackle. The senior has a shot to play in the NFL.