The Sunday before signing day is typically a busy one, and that's again turned out to be the case for Southern Miss.
GoldenEaglePride.com is reporting five new verbal commitments for the Golden Eagles.
* WR Jayshawn Washington of John Ehret High School in Marrero, La. He is a big receiver at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds.
* LB Aaron Harris of Peachtree Ridge High School in Suwanee, Ga. At 6-foot-1, 225 pounds, Harris also drew interest from Arkansas State.
* OL Hayden McMahan of Faith Academy in Mobile, Ala. The 6-foot-5, 270-pound lineman has received increased interest of late with Louisville also keeping in touch with McMahan.
* Safety Walden Davis is a teammate of Harris at Peachtree Ridge High School. He switched his commitment from Georgia State to Southern Miss over the weekend.
* Pearl River Community College safety Ty Northern. The Rosa Fort native transferred to PRCC from Norhwest CC and will have two years of eligibility remaining.
It was reported Saturday that linebacker LeGrande Harley of Georgia Military College had switched his commitment from South Florida to Southern Miss. It appears that Harley's commitment status is very much in question after he reportedly told a couple of recruiting sites in Florida that he is still a USF commitment. This happens from time to time, and you may not know exactly where he stands until signing day on Feb. 5.