Sean Payton may have let slip news on Drew Brees’ future. Either way, Saints need a QB.
Did New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton merely misspeak Tuesday on ESPN’s “Get Up’‘ when he proclaimed the 2020 season would be quarterback Drew Brees’ swan song?
Or, did Payton speak the truth and accidentally let the cat out of the bag?
When asked to clarify himself a day later to local reporters, Payton laughed it off, calling himself a “big dummy’‘ and walking back from his original claim, saying nothing has changed with Brees’ career plans.
“I honestly don’t know if it’s his last year,’‘ Payton explained. “I think the thing he’s done, and we’ve all done, is taken it year-by-year.’‘
OK, no harm, no foul.
Payton can be excused since he’s barely a week removed from being declared coronavirus-free.
Still, I would like to hear from No. 9 who’s currently holed up at his home away from New Orleans in San Diego.
Truth be told, whether this is Brees’ last season or not, matters little in the first week of April when our country is waging a deadly war with COVID-19. Truth be told, we don’t have any idea what the 2020 NFL season is going to look like, let alone, what today, tomorrow and the day after might bring.
At the moment, the NFL plans to go ahead with a virtual draft April 23-24-25, and release its new schedule by May 9. Saints officials are operating out of their draft headquarters inside the Dixie Brewing Company in New Orleans East. Saints/Pelicans owner Gayle Marie Benson controls a majority stake in the iconic brewery.
Off-season workouts, Organized Team Activities (OTAs), training camp and the preseason remain up in the air. At the moment, coronavirus is dictating everything, wreaking havoc at every turn, forcing all of us to protect ourselves and alter the way we go about living our lives and conducting business.
And that includes the NFL.
Normally, Payton’s revelation that Brees is approaching his last season would be a major story, though it wouldn’t be surprising in and of itself. He turned 41 in January and spent the better part of six weeks after the season considering retirement.
In mid-February, Brees announced on social media that he would return for his 20th NFL season. A month later, he signed a two-year, $50 million contract extension.
With backup QB Teddy Bridgewater moving on to Carolina, the Saints currently have two quarterbacks on their off-season roster — Brees and Taysom Hill, a restricted free agent who has been tagged with a one-year, $6.641 million first-round tender.
Payton plans to carry a third quarterback on the Saints’ game-day roster, allowing for a backup to Brees and enabling Hill to play his many roles on offense and special teams.
Whether that additional quarterback comes via the draft or free agency remains to be seen. The Saints hold five picks, starting with the 24th selection in the first round.
“The uniqueness of Taysom’s role will make it important for us to have a third quarterback,’‘ Payton said. “But what we are looking for in that third quarterback is another player we want to develop, work with and improve.
“(He’ll) be the best available player that we feel like fits our program.’‘
And helps the Saints prepare for life without Drew Brees, whenever that time comes.
This story was originally published April 3, 2020 at 2:09 PM.