Former St. Martin football star Donte Starks will play his first game for Biloxi High School Friday night.
Biloxi head coach Bobby Hall confirmed Thursday morning that Starks will suit up at linebacker for the Indians when they host Stone High at 7 p.m. Friday.
“He's a really, really good player,” Hall said.
Starks, who announced his plans to return to the Coast on Aug. 16, sat out the first two games of the season for Biloxi (0-2).
Rated a 4-star prospect by Rivals.com, Starks holds scholarship offers from programs like Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Florida State, Louisville, Oklahoma, Southern Miss and Tennessee.
The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Starks had a standout sophomore campaign at St. Martin last year, but transferred John Ehret High School in the New Orleans area for the spring semester.
Starks told the Sun Herald that he decided to return to the Coast due to a “situation dealing with my eligibility.”
The John Ehret football program has endured a fair amount of drama in recent weeks with head coach Corey Lambert being relieved of his duties.
The New Orleans Advocate reported that part of the school's decision to fire Lambert was due to a review involving a pair of transfer students. One player was ruled eligible to compete while the other was ineligible to compete in any sports until Feb. 10, 2018.
Starks, who was in the Biloxi Public School District for grades 6-8, had 81 tackles and four sacks last season at St. Martin.
Hall expects Starks to fit in well with his new teammates.
“They want to win and this guy can help improve our chances of being successful,” he said.