High School Sports

Hancock faced a tough opponent — here’s what happened on the field

Hancock High running back Marquise Cherry. HHS hosted De La Salle (La.) on Friday.
Hancock High running back Marquise Cherry. HHS hosted De La Salle (La.) on Friday. amccoy@sunherald.com File

The De La Salle Cavaliers ambushed the Hancock Hawks with a 21-point barrage in the final minutes of the first half and beginning of the second half Friday night as they rolled to a 38-13 victory at Brett Favre Field.

The Hawks (3-1) faced their stiffest test of the young season so far in the 3-A Louisiana Cavaliers who are ranked number 18 in the state by MaxPreps.

Despite the loss, Hancock Head Coach Rocky Gaudin said he feels his team has a lot of potential.

“They are very good and well-coached,” Gaudin said of De La Salle. “We wanted to see what we were about tonight, and I think we learned some things. We were able to stop the run, and I was pleased with some things we did.”

De LaSalle scored on the opening play of the game when quarterback Julien Gums connected with Quincy Cage Jr. on a 63-yard scoring play. The point-after gave the Cavs a 7-0 lead.

Gums completed five of nine passes on the evening for 173 yards and three scores.

Hancock responded with a nice drive that reached the 45, but the Hawks were forced to punt.

The two teams then settled into a defensive duel with seven of the next eight possessions ending in three-and-outs.

Hawks defensive end Zack Flowers had two sacks and recovered a fumble in the first half.

Later in the second quarter, the Hawks were faced with a fourth-and-inches at the Cavalier 44.

The Hawks went for it, but quarterback Steven Good was stuffed by Jamiran James and Danquan Edwards for a loss.

After a short run, Gums scrambled to the right and connected with Eddie Minor on a 48-yard pass for a touchdown. The point-after made the score 14-0 with 1:20 before halftime.

Two plays later, Good was intercepted by Noble Scott at the Hawk 30.

After a sack by the Hawks’ Ray Ladner, Gums again dialed up the long pass, this time connecting with B.J. Randle for a 38-yard score with just 15 seconds to play in the half.

“The interception hurt,” Gaudin said. “I thought we had played a good first half.”

On the second-half kickoff, Cavalier Myles Ward recovered a Hawks fumble at the 18.

Four plays later, Gums scored on a five-yard run and all of a sudden, the score was 28-0.

De La Salle added another score with a 67-yard run by Jab White to make the score 35-0 with 3:46 to play in the third quarter.

Hancock’s offense was finally able to move the ball and marched 80 yards for their first score of the game.

Riley Martinez and Trevor Wheat had runs of 21 and 17 yards respectively on the drive, which ended when Good connected with Brooks Rayburn on a 10-yard scoring play.

The point-after was no good.

In the fourth quarter, Hancock found the endzone again on a 10-yard run by Good.

De La Salle added a 21-yard field goal by Fynn Labreche to round out the scoring at 38-13.

Martinez led the Hawks in rushing on the evening with 65 yards on seven carries.

Good completed 14 of 25 passes for 134 yards and a score, but had two interceptions.

The Hawks will travel to Poplarville next Friday.