It’s that special time of year again when loved ones and relatives panic over which golf gift to slip under the Christmas tree. Uninformed shoppers, never fear; my Top 10 Golf Gifts list is here.
10. Winter gloves or rain gloves: Don’t sound exciting? If your golfer plays in rain, sleet or snow, or even just cold weather, put some winter gloves or rain gloves under the tree.
9. Golf balls: These always make the list because golfers always need golf balls, especially bad golfers. Make sure you buy the brand your golfer uses. Cheap imitations not accepted. If you don’t know, ask his/her favorite professional.
8. Loyalty cards: Most golf courses on the Gulf Coast promote loyalty cards, offering discounts for the golf shop and the course.
7. Putters: Even as personal as magic wands seem to be, the all-new Spider Tour Platinum will fit nicely under the tree. When your favorite golfer unwraps one of these, you won’t need any mistletoe.
6. Putting mat: Your favorite golfer will want to practice with that new putter, so why not roll out the magic putting carpet. BirdieBall, DWQuailgolf, and SKLZ are just some of the companies that offer mats that simulate an outdoor green.
5. Gift card: Although gift cards don’t reflect “Let the Big Dog Eat” excitement, they allow golfers to upgrade their arsenals. With some of the biggest companies coming out with new drivers, plastic might be the best choice.
4. Shoes: New nails for that linkster offer a safe choice.
3. Golf ball marker: Poker chips and monogrammed ball markers make great stocking stuffers. Pennies and dimes work well, but a lucky golf ball marker just might make your favorite golfer go Ho-Ho-Ho this Christmas.
2. Golf trip: This makes my list every year, for obvious reasons. Before you book, do some research. Make sure your golfer wants to play that special course. The Homestead, The Greenbriar and Pebble Beach top my 5-star list for couples, while Harbor Town and Sawgrass are great for buddies and couples. Bandon Dunes still stands alone as the best trip for those who just can’t get enough golf and walking.
1. Laser: Nobody does it better than Bushnell. “The undisputed No. 1 Laser Rangefinder in Golf” unveils the new V4 Shift that gives golfers “The perfect combination of size, speed, accuracy, slope and JOLT.”
Tommy Snell, golf coach at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, writes a regular column for the Sun Herald.