Former Wake Forest and Memphis assistant coach Tim Billings is set to join Jay Hopson's staff at Southern Miss, the Sun Herald has confirmed.
Billings, who has worked in college coaching for 34 years, will join Hopson's staff as assistant head coach, according to The Paris (Texas) News. He served the last two years as head coach/athletic director at North Lamar High School in Paris, Texas.
Billings was hired in April 2014 at North Lamar after previously serving two years as the defensive line coach at Memphis from 2012-13.
Billings was a staff member at Wake Forest 2006-11. He filled a variety of positions there, coaching receivers, the secondary, defensive ends and outside linebackers. The Texas native moved up to co-defensive coordinator at Wake Forest in 2011.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
He also has experience as a head coach at Southeast Missouri State, where he had a record of 25-43 in six seasons from 2000-05. His best season there was an 8-4 mark in 2002.
It was at Marshall where Billings and Hopson crossed paths. He worked on the Thundering Herd staff from 1990-99, serving as defensive coordinator in his final season there.
Hopson, who replaced Todd Monken as USM head coach after he left for the NFL, was the defensive backs coach at Marshall from 1996-99.
Billings also worked on the staffs at Missouri and Oklahoma early in his career.
The Sun Herald has confirmed six other members of Hopson's new staff at USM:
* Former Southern Miss and North Carolina assistant Dan Disch, who served as co-defensive coordinator in Larry Fedora's final season as head coach at USM in 2011.
* Alcorn State defensive coordinator Tony Pecoraro, who will serve in the role of co-defensive coordinator for Hopson. He also served as defensive coordinator at North Alabama and worked in the role of defensive quality control at Florida State.
* Northwest Mississippi Community College head coach Jack Wright, who takes over as offensive line coach. He led NWCC to the junior college national title in 2015.
* Lytrel Pollard, who served as cornerbacks coach for three years under Monken.
* John Wozniak, who was elevated from receivers coach to offensive coordinator by Monken prior to the USM's bowl game in 2015. It's unclear what position he will hold under Hopson.
* Alcorn State defensive line coach Derek Nicholson, who also coached linebackers at Louisville and Akron.
Former Kentucky and West Virginia offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson is set to become the offensive coordinator for the Golden Eagles, according Fox Sports and USA Today.
The entire staff will likely be finalized within the next week.