Conference USA narrowly missed out on a couple of Power 5 victories last week with Western Kentucky losing 38-35 at Indiana and Louisiana Tech losing 39-33 in overtime at Kansas State.
It appears unlikely that C-USA will have a team in the discussion for a major bowl bid, but things could change if a team like Western Kentucky or Rice manages to start a win streak.
Middle Tennessee jumps into the top five thanks to its impressive performance on offense of late, putting up 51 points a game. FIU drops out with its 15-14 win over UCF looking less impressive following the Knights' loss to Furman.
Here are the top five teams in Conference USA after three weeks:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
1. Western Kentucky: The Hilltoppers likely saw their chances at a major bowl bid fade Saturday in a 38-35 loss at Indiana, but they’re still on pace for a good season.
2. Louisiana Tech: The Bulldogs are one of the better 1-2 teams in the nation after losing 39-33 in overtime at Kansas State.
3. Rice: The Owls took care of business at North Texas. Baylor looms Saturday.
4. MTSU: The Blue Raiders head to Illinois with a decent shot at pulling off the upset Saturday. Brent Stockstill is putting up big numbers at quarterback.
5. Marshall: The Thundering Herd hasn’t been a very impressive team after beating Purdue in the opener. Marshall should be favored in its next six.
C-USA statistical leaders: