The first week of the season went pretty well for Conference USA with an 8-4 record. It's not every week that C-USA gets wins over the SEC and Big Ten, even if it is Vanderbilt and Purdue.
In C-USA Top 5 for Week 2, Florida International is the newest member after the 15-14 win at Central Florida on Thursday.
Marshall moves up to No. 2 after beating Purdue, 41-31, and Western Kentucky holds onto the top spot following the 14-12 win at Vanderbilt.
Here you have it, the newest power ranking of the top teams in C-USA:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
1. Western Kentucky: A win is a win, but the Hilltoppers were far from their best in a 14-12 victory Thursday at Vanderbilt. They will have to be better when Louisiana Tech comes to town Thursday in a game to be televised by Fox Sports 1.
2. Marshall: The Herd moves up to No. 2 thanks to its 41-31 win over Purdue. The Boilermakers may not be that great this season, but Marshall knows its best football is ahead. Michael Birdson has a nice debut as the Herd's quarterback.
3. Louisiana Tech: It’s so far so good for the Bulldogs, but the big test looms Thursday when they travel to Conference USA favorite WKU. It was against a weak opponent in Southern, but Jeff Driskel was impressive at quarterback, going 12-of-15 for 274 yards and four touchdowns.
4. Rice: The Owls’ ground game may be the best in C-USA this season with quarterback Driphus Jackson leading the way.
5. FIU: Few saw the Panthers winning 15-14 at UCF last week, but they look to be much improved over last year’s 4-8 squad. If defense wins championships, FIU is in the hunt if C-USA. You have to give credit to third-year coach Ron Turner for getting FIU headed in the right direction.
C-USA statistical leaders: