Conference USA entered last season with Marshall as the clear favorite to run away with the league championship and the Thundering Herd managed to follow through with a title.
This season, there are four teams that appear capable of playing in the title game in December. WKU deserves the right to be considered the preseason favorite due to an offense that has a chance to break plenty of records.
Each week, I'll post a C-USA Top 5 that ranks the top squads in the conference.
Here's your preseason edition:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
1. Western Kentucky: The Hilltoppers may top the nation when it comes to total offensive production returning for the 2015 season. Conference USA has a history of quarterbacks with huge numbers and Brandon Doughty may top them all.
2. Louisiana Tech: The Bulldogs finished strong last season and coach Skip Holtz solved his team’s quarterback problems by bringing in Florida transfer Jeff Driskel.
3. Marshall: The Herd has a good shot at repeating at C-USA champion if quarterback Michael Birdsong holds up.
4. Rice: The Owls are lurking if Louisiana Tech fails to live up to expectations. Quarterback Driphus Jackson is very underrated.
5. Middle Tennessee: The pressure is building on Rick Stockstill to win at MTSU. He’ll likely win just enough this season.
C-USA returning statistical leaders: