Breaking News Alerts

Saucier man says smoke detector saved his life

A Saucier man credits a smoke detector for waking him up as his home burned overnight.

Harrison County Fire Marshall Pat Sullivan said the man, who he did not identify, told firefighters he doesn’t believe he would have survived the blaze if it hadn’t been for the safety devices.

“He feels like the smoke detectors saved his life,” Sullivan said.

The homeowner was asleep at the house at 21793 Blackwell Farm Road when the alarm went off shortly before 2 a.m. When he found a room in the back of the house on fire and flames shooting into the attic, he left the building and called 911.

Sullivan said the single-story, brick home received heavy fire damage to at least two rooms and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.

Crews from Saucier and Woolmarket volunteer fire departments worked for about four hours to put out the fire, which remains under investigation.

While the man did own space heaters, Sullivan can’t say if they were a cause of the fire.Read the story in Saturday's Sun Herald.

  Comments