Heavy rains, severe weather possible again today

JOHN FITZHUGH/SUN HERALDBiloxi Shuckers fans wait out a rain delay at MGM Park in Biloxi on Sunday.
JOHN FITZHUGH/SUN HERALDBiloxi Shuckers fans wait out a rain delay at MGM Park in Biloxi on Sunday. SUN HERALD

South Mississippi got another deluge of spring showers Sunday, and they're likely to hang around into Tuesday.

The National Weather Service in Slidell predicts a marginal risk of severe weather today, and a flash flood watch could be issued this morning.

The main threats are wind gusts up to 60 mph, large hail and heavy rainfall -- 2 to 4 inches with higher amounts possible.

A flash flood watch was issued for most of South Louisiana all day Sunday. The area bore the brunt of Sunday's storms, causing flooding and thoroughly soaking an already underwater New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

Some Coast rivers and creeks hovered near flood stage Sunday, according to the weather service.

The Biloxi River near Lyman has been hovering at the 12-foot flood stage, and is predicted to fall below it by Tuesday. The East and West Hoblolochitto Creeks in Pearl River County also are nearing flood stage, and are predicted to reach it Tuesday or Wednesday.

There is a 50 percent chance of rain through Tuesday. A slow-moving cold front is expected Monday, again bringing a chance of heavy rain and thunderstorms in the evening and overnight.

The front should cool temperatures slightly, with highs in the upper 70s and lows in the upper 50s.

The skies should clear by late Tuesday, with temperatures warming to highs in the 80s for the rest of the week.

City leaders in D'Iberville on Monday announced they have declared Thursday's storm a disaster due to 10 inches of rain resulting in widespread property damage to many homes and businesses.

The declaration, officials said, could qualify the city for funds for public assistance. Property owners can call City Hall at 273-3337 to provide contact information. For questions, call Deputy Police Chief Clay Jones at 396-4252.

Gulfport officials declared a state of emergency after Thursday's storm.