You may want to put that Memorial Day Weekend cookout on hold.
The National Hurricane Center on Thursday said there's an 80 percent chance that Invest 90L will form into a tropical depression in the Gulf of Mexico by Saturday. Currently, the area of low pressure has developed over Belize on the Yucatan Peninsula.
But there's a 90 percent chance it will develop into a system over the next five days.
And while no one is using the "H" word yet, the National Weather Service in New Orleans said the system could bring "torrential rainfall" to the Gulf Coast.
So what does this mean?
There's a 60 percent chance for scattered thunderstorms Thursday and Friday, with the potential for an isolated severe thunderstorm with strong winds.
The chance of rain and thunderstorms moves to 70 percent on Saturday and 90 percent on Sunday. The chance of rain remains at least at 50 percent through Wednesday. The system could produce flooding in some areas.
The NHC said the storm also brings the chance for rip currents from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle. Rip currents are strong currents that flow outward from the beach and prevent a hazard for swimmers.
The Air Force's Hurricane Hunters are scheduled to fly out to investigate the storm Friday.
Harrison County has sandbags available at all work centers and other locations around the county. Locations are listed below.
Conference USA officials had to stop action on several occasions on the first day of the conference baseball tournament at MGM Park. Lightning struck as close as 1 mile north of the stadium, but very little rain fell. The weather delays, however, forced some games to be moved to Thursday.
Other weekend activities also could be rained out, including Sounds by the Sea in Gulfport and Pascagoula.
Hurricane season officially begins June 1.
Harrison County sandbag locations
Sandbags are available at all county work centers:
- County Road Department at 10076 Lorraine Road (Mississippi 605) in Gulfport
- D’Iberville Work Center at 10085 Doris Deno St. in D’Iberville
- Lyman Work Center at 15001 County Farm Road in Gulfport.
- Woolmarket Work Center at 16395 Old Woolmarket Road (off of Mississippi 67) in Biloxi
- Long Beach Work Center at 605 North Seal Ave. in Long Beach
- Orange Grove Work Center at 8300 34 th Ave. in Gulfport
- Long Beach Pavillion at Highway 90 in Gulfport
- Courthouse Road Pier at Highway 90 in Gulfport
- Henry Beck Park at 671 Division St.
- Todd Migues Park at 425 Parker St.
- Cavalier Park at 2059 Lawrence St.
- Popps Ferry Soccer Fields at 2150 Popps Ferry Road
- Fire Station 8 at 8479 Woolmarket Road
- Fire Station 9 at 9370 Oaklawn Road
- Public Works Center at 200 West North St.
- Gulfport Public Works Center at 4050 Hewes Ave.
- Orange Grove Community Center at 14416 Dedeaux Road
- Fire Station #2 at 1200 42nd Ave.