After an arctic blast of cold air froze over much of South Mississippi overnight Tuesday, forecasters expect Wednesday night to be frigid as well.
Harrison County Emergency Manager Rupert Lacy said temperatures on the Coast will again drop below freezing Wednesday evening, with lows expected in the mid-teens to near 30.
Lacy said road conditions will likely remain icy and will not improve until temperatures reach above freezing Thursday afternoon.
The following closings and cold-weather shelters have been announced across South Mississippi.
▪ Salvation Army: A cold-weather shelter will be open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights at the Salvation Army in Gulfport, 2019 22nd Street. Doors open at 4 p.m. and close to new entries at 10 p.m. Dinner is at 6 p.m. and breakfast will be provided at Feed My Sheep.
▪ Hancock County cold weather shelter: The shelter will be open 6 p.m. Tuesday to 9 a.m. Wednesday morning at Old Spanish Trail Baptist Church at 5089 US 90 in Bay St. Louis. Anyone needing transportation assistance can call Hancock County dispatch at 228-255-9191.
▪ The Seashore Mission cold weather shelter: The shelter is open Tuesday to Thursday at the Multi Purpose Building, 10395 Automall Parkway, D’Iberville.
▪ Bay-Waveland School District: Thursday classes canceled
▪ Hancock County School District: Thursday classes canceled.
▪ Harrison County School District: Thursday classes canceled.
▪ George County School District: Thursday classes canceled.
▪ Greene County School District: Thursday classes canceled.
▪ Jackson County Schools: Thursday classes canceled.
▪ Pearl River County School District: Thursday classes canceled.
▪ Picayune School District: Thursday classes canceled.
▪ Our Lady Academy, Holy Trinity Elementary, St. Stanislaus College: Thursday classes canceled.
▪ St. Patrick Catholic High School, Our Lady of Fatima, Nativity BVM Elementary: Thursday classes canceled.
▪ Pass Christian School District: Thursday classes canceled.
▪ Ocean Springs School District: Thursday classes are canceled.
School openings and postponements
▪ Long Beach School District: Classes resume on Thursday.
▪ Biloxi School District: Classes are delayed one hour Thursday.
▪ Resurrection Catholic School will delay start time on Thursday. Faculty and staff will report at 9 a.m. and students at 10 a.m.
▪ Coast Episcopal School: Classes will begin at 9:30 a.m.
▪ Gulfport School District: Classes are delayed one hour with buses routes beginning at 7:30 a.m.
▪ University of Southern Mississippi: All campuses will resume normal operations at 10 a.m. with classes beginning at 11 a.m.
College closings and postponements
▪ Pearl River Community College: Thursday classes canceled. The cafeteria remains open for students who live on campus.
▪ Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College: Both campuses open at noon Thursday.
▪ Ingalls Shipbuilding: Operations resume Thursday.
Roads and bridges
This list will be updated throughout the day Wednesday to reflect the latest closings and openings.
▪ Biloxi Bay Bridge: Two lanes are open: one eastbound and one westbound.
▪ Bay St. Louis bridge opened around 4 p.m Wednesday
▪ Lamey Bridge overpass over I-10
▪ Pascagoula high-rise reopened at 12:15 p.m. Wednesday.
▪ Veterans Memorial Bridge (diverging diamond)
▪ Promenade flyover
▪ Popps Ferry Road overpass of I-110
▪ I-110 reopened around noon Wednesday.
▪ Lorraine Road Bridge north of I-10
▪ Beaver Dam Road in George County is closed from Hwy 98 to Main Street due to hazardous ice on the roadway.
▪ Highway 11 near Hide A Way Lake in Pearl River County at the intersection of West Union Road and Lumpkin Road is iced over and vehicles can’t make it up the incline.
Other closings and postponements
▪ The Ohr-O’Keefe Museum of Art: The museum was closed Wednesday and is scheduled to reopen at 10 a.m. Thursday.
▪ Jackson County offices: Jackson County is releasing county workers as of 2:30 p.m. Wednesday. A decision about Thursday has not been made.
▪ Harrison County offices: All county offices in Harrison County will close at 5 p.m. Wednesday and resume regular business at 9 a.m. Thursday.
▪ Diamondhead City Hall: Diamondhead City Hall will delay opening until noon Thursday.
▪ Harrison County Utility Authority: The HCUA offices will close at 4 p.m. Wednesday and reopen at 9 a.m. Thursday.
▪ Edgewater Mall: The mall is closing at 5 p.m. Wednesday and will reopen at 10 a.m. Thursday.