Tornado damage in Hattiesburg near William Carey University
Severe weather on Saturday damaged 480 homes in four counties, killed four people and caused more than 50 injuries, a preliminary report from the Mississippi Emergency Management agency says.
A MEMA news release Sunday afternoon broke down damage by county:
▪ Forrest County: 4 deaths, 56 injuries, 428 homes damaged; multiple roads still closed because of debris; assessments ongoing.
▪ Lamar County: 30 homes damaged; multiple roads closed because of debris and flooding.
▪ Lauderdale County: 1 injury, 12 homes damaged.
▪ Perry County: 1 injury, 10 homes damaged, 1 road closed because of debris and flooding.
▪ Pike County: 2 homes damaged; 1 road closed.
▪ Wilkinson County: 3 homes damaged.
The National Weather Service in Jackson has confirmed that an EF-3 tornado on Saturday struck portions of Lamar, Forrest and Perry counties.
Statewide, 7,600 residents are without power, Mississippi Power and the Electric Power Association reported.
MEMA continues coordinating relief efforts with key agencies and the State Emergency Operations Center remains activated.