Several schools districts on the Mississippi Gulf Coast will close early Thursday ahead of expected severe weather that could include flooding, hail and possible tornadoes.
Rupert Lacy, director of the Harrison County Emergency Management Agency, said thunderstorms and flash flooding are a possibility Thursday. Storms could begin as early as Thursday morning and last through the night.
Here’s a list of school districts closing early Thursday:
- Harrison County District will close 90 minutes early.
- Biloxi Public School District will close 90 minutes early.
- Ocean Springs School District will close 60 minutes early.
- Gulfport School District will close 90 minutes early.
- George County School District will release car riders at 11:15 a.m. and buses at 11:30 a.m.
- Long Beach School District will release grades K-3 at 12:00 p.m., 4-6 at 12:20 p.m., 7-8 at 12:30 p.m., 9-12 at 12:45 p.m.
- Pascagoula-Gautier School District will release elementary and exceptional school students at 2 p.m., academy students at 2:15 p.m. and middle and high school students at 3 p.m.
Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College will close at 1 p.m.
University of Southern Mississippi will close at 1 p.m.
Jackson County, Hancock County, Moss Point and Bay-Waveland school districts are on spring break.
Mississippi Gulf Coast YMCA will close at 4 p.m. today.
City of Gulfport buildings will close at 1 p.m. Thursday ahead of the weather.
Harrison County courthouses in Gulfport and Biloxi will be open until 5 p.m. Thursday, weather permitting. The courthouses will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday.
City of Biloxi non-emergency offices will close at 1 p.m. today. They will remain closed on Friday.
Harrison County Planning Commission will meet at 5 p.m. Thursday at the Gulfport Courthouse as scheduled.
City of Ocean Springs’ non-emergency offices will close today at 3 p.m.
The Naval Construction Battalion Center Gulfport will have early release today at 12:00 p.m. All gates for the base will remain open.
Keesler Air Force Base non-mission essential personnel are authorized early release today at 1 p.m.
Hancock County non-emergency government offices will close at 1 p.m. today.
City of D’Iberville non-emergency offices will close today at 4 p.m.
Thursday night’s Biloxi Shuckers’ game with the Pensacola Blue Wahoos at MGM Park has been postponed. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Friday with first pitch at 5:35 pm.
Hancock County shelter opening
As a precaution, the Hancock County Emergency Management Agency is opening their Kiln shelter, 18320 Mississippi 603.
If you need a ride to the shelter, call 228-255-0942.
Sun Herald will update this report.