The Mississippi Department of Education selected 21 South Mississippi teachers to serve on the first Mississippi Teacher Council.
The council was created to provide teacher feedback on education matters made by the Legislature, the State Board of Education and the Department of Education.
The MTC aims to empower teachers to discuss topics critical to their success in the classroom and how MDE can assist, according to MDE.
A total of 61 teachers from across the state were selected for the council. More than 150 teachers submitted applications to serve, MDE said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
Six teachers with the Pascagoula-Gautier School District, including three from Pascagoula High School, were selected, the most of all school districts in South Mississippi. The district is tied with the Tupelo School District for having the most teachers in the state on the council.
The Harrison County School District and Biloxi School District each had four teachers selected for the council. Three teachers from Jackson County were chosen. Two teachers from Biloxi Junior High School made the cut. The Gulfport School District had two teachers selected. The Hancock County School District and Moss Point School District each had one teacher picked for the council.
“We want to learn from our teachers in the classroom who often implement effective strategies that can be shared and replicated statewide,” Mississippi Superintendent of Education Carey Wright said in a press release. “They provide valuable insights that could improve MDE initiatives. Additionally, the MTC will provide a venue for teachers to become advocates for their students and their profession through input into the decision-making process.”
South Mississippians on the MTC
Here are the teachers the Mississippi Department of Education selected:
Biloxi School District
▪ Lindsey Michell Todd, Biloxi Junior High School
▪ Leslie Slaydon, Jeff Davis Elementary
▪ Amanda LeMaster, Biloxi High School
▪ Elizabeth Williams, Biloxi Junior High School
Gulfport School District
▪ Tricia Stoll, 28th Street Elementary, Gaston Point Elementary and West Elementary
▪ Rebecca Whittet, Gulfport High School
Hancock County School District
▪ Amanda Lovelance Pidgeon, Hancock High School
Harrison County School District
▪ Wanda Anderson, North Gulfport Middle School
▪ Heather Cates, D’Iberville Elementary School
▪ Ashleigh Marie Syverson, Bel-Aire Elementary School
▪ Scott Belham, West Harrison High School
Jackson County School District
▪ Victoria L. Killingsworth, East Central Lower Elementary School
▪ Gina Stork, Vancleave Lower Elementary School
▪ Angela C. Nelson, East Central Lower Elementary
Moss Point School District
▪ Jennifer Hamilton, Moss Point Kreole Primary
Pascagoula-Gautier School District
▪ Elizabeth Green, Pascagoula High School
▪ Dalisay Louise Smith, Gautier Middle School
▪ Leigh Hanna, Pascagoula High School
▪ Lauren Carpenter, Pascagoula High School
▪ Jodi McKenzie, Gautier High School
▪ Amy Glenn, Trent Lott Academy
Mississippi Department of Education