Crime

Bourbon Street shooter Trung Lee sentenced to 60 years in prison

John Simerman

The New Orleans Advocate

Trung Lee
Trung Lee

Trung Le, the Belle Chasse man who fired the first four bullets in a fatal June 2014 shootout on Bourbon Street, was sentenced Monday to 60 years in prison.

Orleans Parish Criminal District Judge Byron C. Williams handed down the sentence to Le, 22, two months after a jury rejected his claim of self-defense.

Le was sentenced to 40 years for the manslaughter count and 20 years for the attempted manslaughter count. The sentences will be served consecutively.

At the sentencing Monday, Williams told Le that he was lucky he didn’t get automatic life for murder. “You really had one foot on the banana peel,” he said.

The jury convicted Le on counts of manslaughter and attempted manslaughter. The former count was for the death of 21-year-old Hammond nursing student Brittany Thomas, who was killed from a bullet to the head fired by a second shooter, who remains at large.

The attempted manslaughter count was for firing on that shooter, who was wearing a chef’s uniform and ballcap. Le had been charged with attempted murder, but the jury settled on the lesser count.

Le faced a minimum 20-year sentence and a maximum of 40 years on the manslaughter charge.

Read more of this story on The New Orlean's Advocate's website.

  Comments