Watch: Shooting leaves 2 dead, chaos after Pass Christian parade
GULFPORT -- A document filed in federal court identifies one of those wounded in a deadly shooting after Pass Christian's Mardi Gras parade as one of the shooters.
Charles Earl Johnson, 29, and several others fired into the crowd Feb. 7, according to a petition to revoke his probation on a federal drug conviction.
Isaiah "Winky" Lee Major III, 43, of Bay St. Louis, and Carlos "Los" Bates, 29, of Gulfport, identified by police as innocent bystanders, died at the scene. Police have said Johnson was shot three times, and two men and a woman also were wounded.
Johnson was arrested days later on a federal probation warrant. He had been released from prison in September 2013 after serving time for his involvement in a 2008 cocaine-trafficking conspiracy involving a $300,000 deal to buy 15 kilos of cocaine in Diamondhead.
A petition to revoke his probation on a 10-year prison term was filed March 1, but three allegations listed on the petition were sealed.
An amended petition, which added the missing allegations, was unsealed before Johnson was to appear for his final revocation hearing in U.S. District Court on Wednesday.
The two other allegations say he was in possession of a firearm Feb. 7 and was associating with at least one other felon.
The hearing was re-scheduled for 9 a.m. Friday before Judge Sul Ozerden.
Johnson and seven other Gulfport residents were arrested in investigations related to the Pass shooting.
At the time, Police Chief Tim Hendricks said those arrested were believed to have key information or involvement in the post-parade shooting.
Hendricks has estimated 50,000 people attended the parade and about 1,000 were on Davis Avenue at Ladnier Street when shots were fired, sending hundreds running for safety.
Johnson had multiple wounds. He was shot twice in a leg and once in an arm.
"Some of his wounds were in front and some wounds were in back," Hendricks said.
"That's why he's a person of interest."
Hendricks said he will be meeting with District Attorney Joel Smith to see who will be arrested in connection with the shooting and what charges will be filed.
"We've done close to 50 different interviews and spent 60 to 70 hours reviewing videotapes," Hendricks said.
"It's all been presented to the DA's Office. They're in charge of the prosecution so we will meet with those who will prosecute the case before decisions are made on arrests."
"We've put a lot of hard work into this. We want justice for the families."