Shooting victim who entered Biloxi High School shot himself, police say

A report of a shooting that led to a lockdown at Biloxi High was determined to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.

Biloxi High School was placed on lockdown Wednesday after a man with a gunshot wound came into the school lobby to ask for help, Police Maj. Christopher De Back said.

The junior high, which shares the campus with the high school, was also placed on lockdown. Parents of students were notified in a recorded phone message Wednesday afternoon.

The wounded person is not a student, but a 20-year-old man who said he was shot while sitting in his car at the AJ Holloway Sports Complex, Biloxi School District spokeswoman Jennifer Pyron said.

The complex is adjacent to the school on its east side.

“Per safety procedures, the school was immediately put on lockdown,” Pyron said. “All students are accounted for and safe.”

Police were notified about 2 p.m., De Back said.

Once a school resource officer determined there was no weapon on campus, school nurses treated the man until paramedics arrived. The man was taken to a hospital for treatment.

“We are still investigating, but evidence recovered at the scene and other evidence indicates the shooting was self-inflicted,” De Back said.

Police halted school bus routes and car riders during the investigation. But the lockdown was lifted after 30 or 40 minutes, in time for the buses to resume their normal schedule, a school phone message said.

High school principal Marcus Beaudreaux said “students, staff members did a phenomenal job of following our procedures that we practice all the time.”

“We would love to practice live situations, but we never want to spook the community by going to a true lockdown without warning,” he said. “This gave us an opportunity to really test how things work in a live situation, and I could not be more pleased with how students, staff, parents and first responders reacted.”

Robin Fitzgerald, 228-896-2307, @robincrimenews