He ran from a Biloxi cop and avoided a police Taser, cops say. Then a gun went off.

Garnell Linwood Curley Jr.
Garnell Linwood Curley Jr.

A Biloxi cop used his Taser and fired off a gunshot during a scuffle and chase with a man who fled while being arrested, and the suspect was later apprehended by another officer, police said.

Officers observed a silver Chevrolet pickup truck engaging in possible narcotic activity near Division Street and Lameuse Street, said police Lt. Christopher De Back.

The truck came back as stolen from Mobile, Alabama, after police ran the license plate, De Back said.

Officers followed the driver to the 200 block of Main Street and found 32-year-old Garnell Linwood Curley Jr. standing outside the driver’s door. There were two other people inside of the truck.

De Back said officers told Curley, of Ocean Springs, to turn around so he could be arrested, but he ran instead.

As Curley climbed a fence, an officer deployed a Taser to subdue him, but the officer missed, De Back said. Curley then ran east through the yards of several homes and hid under a piece of debris in a backyard of a home in the 250 block of Lameuse Street.

When the Biloxi officer found Curley, De Back said he pointed his gun at the suspect and told him to get on the ground but Curley walked toward the officer instead.

The officer attempted to apprehend Curley when he was in arm’s reach, but Curley resisted and began pulling away, De Back said.

During the struggle, De Back said, the officer accidentally discharged his gun. The shot was fired away from Curley and the officer and nobody was wounded, DeBack said, but Curley was able to get away from the officer.

Another officer found him in the 200 block of Delaunay Street and had to use a Taser to apprehend Curley, De Back said.

De Back said Curley was in possession of drug paraphernalia at the time of his arrest.

During the struggle, Curley received a laceration to his head and was treated at a local hospital. The officer who chased Curley also suffered minimal injuries in the chase and struggle.

Curley is held at the Harrison County Jail on charges of receiving stolen property, possession of drug paraphernalia and resisting arrest.

Justice Court Judge Albert Fountain set Curley’s bond at $50,000 on the receiving stolen property charge.

The Biloxi Municipal Court set bond for Curley’s other two charges: $536 for the resisting arrest charge and $426 for the posession of paraphernalia charge.

The two occupants inside of the truck were also taken into custody for further questioning but were later released, De Back said.

Anyone with information regarding this incident should call the Biloxi Police Department Criminal Investigation Division at 228-435-6112 or the Biloxi Cirminal Intelligence Unit at Tips can also be called into Crime Stoppers at 877-787-5898.

Justin Mitchell: 228-604-0705, @JustinMitchell_