Jackson County

Two injured in fire at St. Martin assisted living center

ST. MARTIN -- Fire broke out in one room at an assisted-living center on Lemoyne Boulevard early Monday morning, resulting in injuries to two residents and the temporary evacuation of 36 residents, authorities said.

One resident, Mercedes Hall, 90, suffered second-degree burns when her bed caught fire in first-floor room at Lemoyne Place in the St. Martin community. Another resident hurt her leg during the 3:27 a.m. evacuation, Jackson County Sheriff Mike Ezell said.

The resident in the bed when the fire ignited remained hospitalized in stable condition Monday at Ocean Springs Hospital, spokesperson, Richard Lucas said. The other resident was treated and released. Authorities did not identify the injured.

The Fort Bayou Volunteer Fire Department, the Northwest Volunteer Fire Department and Jackson County firefighters responded, along with Jackson County sheriff's deputies and Acadian Ambulance.

Five Jackson County sheriff's deputies got the scene prior to emergency personnel and initially helped staff moving residents outside.

"There was very minor damage," said Earl Etheridge, Jackson County emergency services director. "The sprinkler system and the alarm system activated and the staff did everything they were supposed to. They did a really excellent job protecting the residents."

Residents were allowed back in their rooms after the smoke was vented out of the area where the fire ignited.

The director of Lemoyne Place could not be reached for comment.

Jackson County Fire Marshal Jeff Mattson and the state Fire Marshal's office are investigating.

No foul play is suspected.

  Comments