Beloved MS Coast parade ready to roll after last year’s dispute. Here’s the plan
The Witches Ride of Ocean Springs will roll this weekend with no major changes after the popular parade resolved a dispute with the police department last year.
The event on Saturday is expected to attract thousands of spectators and more than 300 paraders dressed as witches, fairies and goblins for the theme of “Twilight in the Enchanted Forest.”
Last year, parade leaders worried the future of their event was uncertain after they felt rushed through the route by police, who said gaps in the parade were causing safety issues. But both groups said this month that they’ve agreed on a plan and expect the event to run smoothly.
Haven Lyons, vice president of the Witches Ride, said the city and police department have ensured the parade can run between 6 and 7:30 p.m.
“We have as long as we need on the parade route,” she said.
Ocean Springs Deputy Police Chief Matthew Morvant also said the parade has grown so popular that ten officers will work the route this weekend, which is double the number officers assigned to the event last year.
Witches Ride plans Halloween festivities
The annual parade began in 2018. Participants in costume throw candy to festive Halloween crowds, and the event raises money for animal welfare organizations across South Mississippi.
The group is also hosting a pet parade and costume contest Saturday morning in Marshall Park and a Halloween Pub Crawl from 4 to 10 p.m. at several restaurants and bars in downtown Ocean Springs.
The police department is advising drivers to be mindful of where they park on Saturday and asking spectators to stay behind barricades lining the parade route.
“If they do that, we’re golden,” Morvant said.
This story was originally published October 20, 2025 at 5:00 AM.