Harrison County

Family escapes early-morning house fire

A mother and her two children escaped an early morning fire that heavily damaged their home, Gulfport Fire Chief Michael Beyerstedt said.

Flames were shooting out of the roof of the single-story home at 11514 Barrone Street when crews arrived at 4:20 a.m., he said.

The family already had evacuated the home. The woman’s 7-year-old daughter was treated at the scene for a minor burn on her hand.

Crews had the fire out within 13 minutes, he said.

Beyerstedt said the family had been cooking French fries the night before and apparently had left the oil on the stove and the stove turned on.

He said crews were able to save the family’s car in the garage and some of their belongings.

SunHerald.com updates this story as details become available.

  Comments