Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove has identified Karen Cable, 74, and husband Edward Cable, 80, as the couple who died in an overnight fire in a mobile home at Hidden Acres Mobile Home Park.
Gulfport Fire Chief Mike Beyerstedt said the department got a call around 8 a.m. Monday about the fire on Touriel Road. The fire apparently started overnight in a chair in the living room, he said.
When firefighters arrived, the fire had burned itself out, but toxic fumes from the fire apparently overcame the Cables. A dog also died in the fire, Beyerstedt said.
The state fire marshal and Gulfport Fire Department are investigating.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
Beyerstedt said the fire department had responded several times to the home for health issues and knew the couple.
“The sad thing about this is they had smoke detectors but they were non-functioning,” Beyerstedt said.