Harrison County

Smoke detector saves family from house fire, but their dog didn’t make it

A fire lights up the sky before dawn at a home on County Farm Road in Harrison County. A couple and their son escaped from the fire but their dog died.
A fire lights up the sky before dawn at a home on County Farm Road in Harrison County. A couple and their son escaped from the fire but their dog died.

A pre-dawn fire destroyed a home on County Farm Road, where smoke detectors alerted the three sleeping residents and they escaped unharmed, Fire Chief Pat Sullivan said.

Their dog did not make it out of the burning home Tuesday and perished, he said.

A couple and their 10-year-old boy lived there.

“Smoke detectors saved their lives,” Sullivan said.

The family was renting a one-story, wood-frame home that was destroyed by a fire believed to be accidental, he said. That area of County Farm Road is near Myers Lane, south of Interstate 10.

The blaze around 4 a.m. lit up the night sky.

Firefighters responded from Harrison County Fire Service and the Lizana, Long Beach and CRTC fire departments.

The fire gutted the inside of the home, Sullivan said.

An investigation into the fire later Monday determined a candle had been knocked over, accidentally starting the fire, he said.

Robin Fitzgerald: 228-896-2307, @robincrimenews

  Comments