Changes are coming to trash pickup in all cities in Harrison County, except Gulfport, and the unincorporated areas of the county.
The county Utility Authority and the new contractors, Team Waste and Pelican Waste, will have meetings to explain the changes before they take effect Oct. 1.
The meetings will be from 6 to 7 p.m. The schedule:
Tuesday, Aug. 29 — Woolmarket Community/Senior Center, 16320 Old Woolmarket Road
Thursday, Aug. 31 — Red Barnett Senior Center, 10450 Lamey Bridge Road, D'Iberville
Tuesday, Sept. 5 — Donal Snyder Community Center, 2520 Pass Road, or the Biloxi Civic Center, 578 Howard Ave.
Thursday, Sept. 7 — Harrison County Fairgrounds, County Farm Road, time to be announced
Tuesday, Sept. 12 — Long Beach Senior Center, 20257 Daugherty Road
Thursday, Sept. 14 — Pass Christian City Hall, 200 West Scenic Drive
Tuesday, Sept. 19 — West Harrison Community Center, 4470 Espy Ave.
Final dates, times and locations will be posted on the HCUA website, hcua-ms.us. One session will also be taped for those who cannot attend and available online on the website.
The HCUA also offered answers to these questions:
Why am I getting a new company to pick up my trash and recycling?
▪ The current contract with Waste Pro expires Sept. 30, 2017, unless extended for up to one year by HCUA.
▪ The authority recently went through an extensive Request for Proposals process and contract negotiations to select new contractors for trash, garbage and recycling household collection services.
▪ Under the new contracts, HCUA has strengthened its administrative abilities to more quickly address poor contractor performance by monthly withholding of contractor payments to be used, when necessary, to assess/recover fines for failure to perform specific responsibilities identified in the contract.
▪ With its new contracts, HCUA has taken steps to encourage, promote and improve recycling participation by providing wheeled 35-gallon carts (rather than the current 18-gallon bins).
▪ The development of focused public outreach and education programs geared toward increasing recycle participation will be a component of the new services.
▪ Through the public procurement process, proposals were submitted by Waste Management, Team Waste, Pelican Waste and Bobcat.
▪ Team Waste was awarded the contract for garbage and recycling pickup from HCUA. Disposal of garbage collected by Team Waste is provided under an existing agreement between HCUA and Waste Management.
▪ Pelican Waste & Debris was awarded the trash (rubbish/debris) pickup contract from HCUA. Disposal of trash collected by Pelican Waste is provided under an existing agreement between HCUA and Team Waste.
When does new service start?
Oct. 1 for residents in Biloxi, D’Iberville, Long Beach, Pass Christian and all unincorporated areas of Harrison County.
What will my bill be?
▪ HCUA does not bill residents directly — it only manages the collection and disposal services and bills the cities and county. Bills are based on the number of customers in each city/county based on a house count that is done annually.
▪ With the new contracts, HCUA’s estimated bills to the cities and county is $14.33 per month per home for home services.
▪ Residents will receive their bills from their respective city. Contact your city with regard to any possible changes to your current bill.
▪ Residents in unincorporated Harrison County will continue to pay their garbage/recycle/trash bill as part of their annual county taxes. For questions regarding this assessment, contact Harrison County directly.
Will my current pickup schedule change?
▪ Contractors are working to minimize changes to service days. We anticipate the new routes being finalized by mid-August. Once finalized, they will be released and published. This information will be made available online at the HCUA website. Hard copies will also be available for viewing at the HCUA offices.
Will I get a new cart and when will I get it?
▪ Yes. You will receive two new carts — one for garbage and one for recycling.
▪ The garbage cart is the same size as your current one — 96 gallons.
▪ The 35-gallon recycling cart will take the place of the current hand-held recycle bins. The new cart will have a lid and wheels to make it more user friendly.
▪ To ensure all new carts are delivered before the start of service, a cart delivery schedule is being developed. A full schedule of deliveries by city will be released shortly. Initial delivery of new carts is anticipated to begin in mid-August..
Can I get a second cart?
▪ Yes. Residents who would like a second cart can get one for $2.44 per month. Call Team Waste at 228-328-1820 or order online at www.teamwasteusa.com to get your name on the additional cart list. You will be billed annually by Team Waste for the second cart.
Who do I call if I do not get my new carts or have questions about the new service?
▪ HCUA will establish a phone number to handle customer service calls beginning Oct. 1. Prior to then, customers should call 228-868-8752.
What do I do with my old cart?
▪ We are working with WastePro on a schedule to pick up your cart and recycling bins. Once finalized this information will be released and published.
I live within the city limits of Gulfport. Will these vendors serve me as well?
▪ Residents and businesses should call Gulfport at 228-868-5700 for more information on your garbage, trash and recycling services.