Hancock County firefighters were helping fight a house fire in Pearl River County on Sunday when they learned a mobile home had caught fire in their own jurisdiction.
Leetown Fire Chief Chris Ladner said his fire station and the Post 58 Fire Department in Kiln were called before 10 a.m. to Pearl River County, where a wooden house had caught fire.
His department sent three trucks to the scene on Shawtown Road, east of Mississippi 53. Post 58 sent a tanker. The area has a Perkinston address.
Ladner said the local fire crews provided water to fight the fire, which was stopped in the kitchen. About 95 percent of the house was saved, he said. Ladner said he wasn't sure about the cause of the fire.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
The fire was nearly under control about 11:30 a.m. when fire chiefs learned a mobile home in Hancock County was ablaze. The local units left Pearl River County to join other units at a mobile home off Katie Drive, where flames damaged the kitchen and caused smoke damage throughout the home.
Officials believe that fire started when the resident apparently fell asleep while cooking, Hancock County Emergency Management Director Brian "Hootie" Adam.
No injuries were reported at either fire.