WAVELAND -- A Waveland business was seriously damaged Wednesday morning when a fire broke out in one of the apartments in the mixed-use complex.
Waveland Fire Chief Tony Mallini said Friday fire at the Karate World facility on U.S. 90 was reported about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Karate World is next door to the fire department.
Mallini said fire trucks were there within three minutes.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
"They had to get dressed and get their equipment ready," he said. "We were right there immediately."
The building houses a karate school and three occupied apartments, officials said. Mallini said initial reports said a resident in one of the units was smoking a cigarette in bed and fell asleep.
The fire started in the apartment, he said, but when it got into the stairwell it spread quickly.
The residents were all able to exit safely and no injuries were reported, officials said.
The Bay St. Louis Fire Department assisted in putting out the blaze.