KILN -- Nikki Farve, a volunteer firefighter for Kiln Volunteer Fire Department Post 58, never imagined she would be a victim of a house fire.
But on Friday, she received a call that her mobile home in the Silver Creek community was in flames.
Farve's teenage daughters were home when the kitchen stove caught flames. She said the girls tried to contain the fire, but it spread quickly.
"They tried to put it out, but they couldn't," she said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
Cheyenne Eldridge, 17, and Cassie Eldridge, 14, had to flee their home, then watch it burn.
But they weren't hurt, Farve said.
Farve said she and her family tried to make their way through the debris afterward to see if they could save anything.
"Nothing is salvageable -- clotheswise, furniture, nothing," she said.
The Christmas tree in the living room was knocked to the ground. The entertainment center, filled with decor and ceramic crosses, was destroyed. Posters still hung on the burnt walls in Cassie's room, but everything in the room was destroyed.
Farve said she is thankful, above everything else, that her daughters are safe.
She's lived in the mobile home for 10 years, and didn't have house insurance. She and her family stayed in a hotel room Friday night and are waiting for disaster assistance to assess the damage at her home.
"(I) never knew I would be the one needing help," she said. "I was always helping others when their houses burnt -- never knew it was going to be me one day."