Hancock County

Resident of senior apartments injured in early morning fire

An elderly resident was hospitalized this morning from burns received when a fire started in her room at Notre Dame De La Mer Apartments in the 200 block of U.S. 90, Bay St. Louis Fire Chief Pam San Fillippo said.

The fire at the senior living complex, which happened shortly before 2:30 a.m., remains under investigation, but San Fillippo said investigators believe the woman, whom she did not identify, was smoking while holding her oxygen mask.

The female resident was treated for burns to her face, but San Fillippo did not know her condition this morning.

San Fillippo said the fire was contained to the woman’s bed. She said the mattress was burned through and the heat melted the cover over the light fixture. Sprinklers were activated in the room, she said.

Fire damage was minimal. Water from the sprinkler system covered half the first floor, she said.

Smoke damage on the first floor also was heavy, she said.

Units from both Bay. St. Louis fire stations were on scene for about two hours.

Read the story in Thursday’s Sun Herald and on SunHerald.com.

  Comments