Local

Family discussed making a fire plan the night before fatal blaze (Updated 2 p.m.)

ORANGE GROVE — A woman whose husband and two sons died in an early morning house fire said the four of them talked about making a family emergency plan before she left to work the night shift at a Biloxi casino.

“Now I come home and I don’t have a family,” Dalene Noffsinger told the Sun Herald today.

Her husband Jeremy Noffsinger, 32, and her two sons, Jessie Sanders, 12, and Kaleb Sanders, 8, died in the fire at their rental home at 14358 Williamsburg Drive.

Fire officials said the fire was ruled an accident, caused by a stove left on.

Noffsinger said her husband probably fixed a snack for himself and the boys after she left for work as a server at Beau Rivage Casino at 9 p.m.

The fire at the home near Dedeaux Road was fully evolved when crews arrived at 1:05 p.m., Chief Mike Beyerstedt said.

Neighbors called 911 and then attempted to enter the home. “The flames were too bad. They couldn’t get into the house,” he said.

Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove said Jeremy Noffsinger and Kaleb were found in a closet and Jessie was found about three feet from them.

Crews had the fire out within 20 minutes.

Dalene Noffsinger said the boys were ready to start school and the family had purchased new clothes and supplies for them.

Kaleb was in the third grade at Bel-Aire Elementary and Jessie was entering Gulfport Seventh & Eighth Grade School. Both boys were planning to register for football leagues on Saturday, she said.

Noffsinger said friends have set up an account to help with funeral expenses at Keesler Federal Credit Union.

Read the story in Saturday's Sun Herald.

  Comments