Inmates could remain evacuated from a south Mississippi jail until sometime next week after a faulty boiler began emitting carbon monoxide.
Warden Dwain Brewer tells WLOX-TV that inmates were moved from the Stone County Regional Correctional Facility in Wiggins to Greene County.
Two inmates were hospitalized because of carbon monoxide poisoning after the problem was discovered Saturday.
Officials said nine inmates overall complained about health problems that appeared related to carbon monoxide. Inmates were taken outside to the jail’s recreation yard after the problem began Saturday.
Brewer says a heat exchanger overheated and stopped burning properly. He says jail officials are waiting on getting the machinery replaced before bringing inmates back.