Oyster areas in the western part of the Mississippi Sound have been closed to dredging.
The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources announced the closures at 4 p.m. Tuesday.
The closed portions, all in Area II:
▪ E: Square Handkerchief Reef and southern parts of Henderson Point Reef.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Sun Herald
▪ F: Southern parts of the Pass Christian Reef.
▪ G: Southern parts of the Pass Christian Reef and northern portions of the Pass Marianne Reef.
▪ H: Southern portions of Telegraph and Pass Marianne reefs.
▪ I: Southern parts of Pass Marianne, Pelican, Buoy and First Key reefs.
The Commission on Marine Resources decided at its Dec. 13 meeting to open those areas for at least a five-day period that would end no later than Thursday, a DMR press release said.