Coronavirus

Cruise ship returning to Gulfport, allowing crews to go home during coronavirus shutdown

One of the cruise ships in South Mississippi during the coronavirus pandemic, Royal Caribbean’s “The Majesty of the Seas,” is returning to the Port of Gulfport from March 24-27.

The ship, which had been moored 18 miles south of the port, will dock to let crew members whose contracts are completed to get off and return to their home countries, according to a Tuesday press release from the port.

It will only be a small portion of crew that will be getting off, said Port of Gulfport CEO Jonathan Daniels, and no new crew members will board the ship.

Before leaving, the crew members will be evaluated by the ship’s medical staff to ensure they don’t have signs or symptoms of illness.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection will complete normal departure procedures for ships docked in port.

“All processed crew members will be transported by cruise line chartered transportation services to New Orleans Louis Armstrong International Airport, where they will begin travel to their respective home country,” the press release says.

The docking is being done according to federal law and to meet the needs of Royal Caribbean, Daniels said.

More cruise ships will be coming and going from the port during the new coronavirus shutdown.

Carnival Cruise Lines’ ships, Carnival Valor and Carnival Freedom, will be docking at the Port of Gulfport at times while the cruise line is shut down.

Staff writer Anita Lee contributed to this report.

This story was originally published March 24, 2020 at 10:52 AM.

Related Stories from Biloxi Sun Herald
Mary Perez
Sun Herald
Mary has won numerous awards for her business and casino articles for the Sun Herald. She also writes about Biloxi, jobs and the new restaurants and development coming to the Coast. She is a fourth-generation journalist. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER